Hey friends, did you know it’s National Read Across America Day? National Read Across America Day was started by The National Education Association as just one day (March 2nd) and grew into Read Across America celebrating reading all year. You can visit www.nea.org/readacrossamerica to learn more.
To celebrate I’ve creating some fun printable coloring bookmarks that help prompt a discussion on what reading means to you and your family. I have also put together a recommended list of books that promote diversity, inclusion, and expressing emotions.
Reading to our family is “magical”, an “adventure”, and “learning”. Reading takes us on journeys, educates, influences, and so much more. Reading is powerful.
What is reading to your family? Download the free bookmark printables below (including a fill-in-the blank bookmark), grab some crayons, and ask your child what reading is to them. This is a great way to start a discussion on how reading is more than just the literal definition.
Download Here: Reading Is.. Bookmarks
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio (this is one of Landon’s favorite books!)
- We’re All Wonders by R.J. Palacio (Wonder read-together version, for younger children)
- We Came To America by Faith Ringgold
- Yo Soy Muslim by Mark Gonzales
- Stella’s Stellar Hair by Yesenia Moises
- Your Name is a Song by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow
- 90 Miles to Havana by Enrique Flores-Galbis
- My Brother Charlie by Holly Robison Peete
- Amazing Women by Kane Miller
- Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani
- Here and There by Kane Miller
- Different by Kane Miller
- Worry by Kane Miller
- What If I Know My Feelings? by Kane Miller
- All About Feelings by Usborne Books
- Mindful Kids Collection by Kane Miller
Please note the above links are affiliate links, however, don’t forget to check your local libraries. Some titles are also available free on Amazon in the audiobook versions.
We love reading together. My two youngest love to snuggle up on my lap and listen to book after book. It’s such a special time together. And I love watching my oldest read to her little sisters. 🥰
Reading is knowledge to us! it’s crazy how one book can transport you to a whole new place and teach you so much! thank you for the bookmark!!