Real Talk: If you saw my post on Instagram today (you can check it out here) I opened up about a pretty serious topic, postpartum depression.
According to postpartumdepression.org, a recent study found that 1 in 7 women may experience PPD. ONE in 7, that means approximately 600,000 women, let that sink in.
I was one of those women. After my youngest son, I was diagnosed with PPD. I’ve never been shy about my struggles with anxiety, but that is something I’ve had for as long as I can remember and over time developed skills to cope with it, PPD, on the other hand, was a whole new experience for me and it was one of the scariest times of my life. My anxiety that I could usually keep under control was heightened, my moods were all over the place, I constantly found myself in the bathroom crying, or worst just sitting on my kitchen floor feeling numb contemplating self harm. I remember feeling so alone and being so angry at myself for feeling sad when I had such beautiful, happy, and healthy children. These feelings often confused me and left me tossing and turning during the night. It took me a long time to reach out for help and that is why I’m writing this and starting #ThisIsTheFaceOfPPD. I never want another mom to be afraid to reach out like I was or think you are alone -you are not, especially during these times when we may not be seeing our friends or family face to face, I am here and I see you mama.
Below is a list of local Long Island and National PPD Resources and a brief summary of some services they offer.
Long Island/NY Area:
- The Motherhood Center of New York
- Telemental health appointments, webinars, virtual day program/support groups, and more. https://www.themotherhoodcenter.com/
- The Postpartum Resource Center of NY
- Toll free Statewide help line 855-631-0001, Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Screening Scale, and more. https://postpartumny.org/
- The Nesting Place
- A supportive place for moms that offers virtual support groups, educational classes, a Facebook support group, and more. https://thenestingplaceli.com/
- Birth and Beyond Resources
- Helpline 22-HELPSMOM, Facebook support group, & virtual MamaMoon visits. https://www.birthandbeyondresources.com/
- United Perinatal Support Coalition
- Coalition of 8 organizations offering support for Long Island Families during the COVID 19 Pandemic through 24/7 hotline help and more. 631-763-3122. https://www.facebook.com/United-Perinatal-Support-Coalition-107213480932867/
- Postpartum Support International
- Helpline with call & text options, online support meetings, help finding local resources, free live phone sessions, resources for dad, and more. CALL: 1-800-944-4773 TEXT for English: 503-894-9453 Spanish: 971-420-0294 https://www.postpartum.net/
- Postpartum Progress
- List of resources and support by state and province– US & CA , informative articles, free downloadables, and more. https://postpartumprogress.com/
- 2020 Mom
You can also search the hashtag #ThisIsTheFaceOfPPD on Instagram to read real stories from strong women all over or join in and share your own story. You’ve got this mama.