Did you know today, February 17th, is National Random Acts of Kindness Day? Well, if you didn’t, now you do!
I believe kindness should always be thrown around like confetti, especially today, so I’ve created a list of 10 ways you can celebrate the day!
- Give flowers to a stranger – this is how we are participating today!
- Walk around giving out compliments (verbally OR on little notes)
- Pay for the person behind you in the drive-through or Starbucks line
- Send a friend or family member an anonymous gift
- Donate to a local shelter, food bank, or charity
- Surprise a friend with their favorite coffee or treat
- Volunteer somewhere local (nursing home, animal shelters, churches, etc.)
- Treat a coworker, or friend, to lunch
- Leave inspirational post-it notes/positive affirmations around your neighborhood (car windshields, grocery aisles, bookshelves, park benches, bus stops etc.)
- Simply smile! Yes just simply smiling at a stranger can spread kindness and joy, which is why they say “smiles are contagious.”
These ideas can be used ANY day, so please remember to keep spreading kindness every day.
While things have certainly changed A LOT in the last year, almost everything on the list above can be easily modified to abide by social distancing guidelines. Here are some examples:
- Instead of handing out flowers you can anonymously leave some on your neighbors porches or order a floral delivery for someone in your neighborhood or a front line worker.
- Instead of walking around giving out compliments, mail kind notes via postcards or letters to friends and family you may not have been able to see in a while, seniors in nursing homes, or hospitals and front line workers.
- Surprise a friend by leaving them a special treat or gift on their porch or text/email them an e-gift card to Dunkin or Starbucks.
- Leave “kindness rocks” around your neighborhood – rocks painted with inspirational words or messages on them (see an example on my Instagram HERE.)
It has definitely been a difficult year for so many, so always remember to be kind my friends! Comment below with more ways to spread kindness or how you will be celebrating the day!